Several years ago at a moving sale in my neighborhood I found this plaster statue in all her ugly, 1970’s, green glory.
(Trust me, the green was uglier in person than in the picture.)
I was warned, several times, not to let her get wet, that she’d melt. They didn’t use the word melt, but I’ve had chalk things in the weather before and melt is a good term for it. My intentions were to paint her, but I could never decide on a color. White or stone or bronze? I waffled back and forth. Never making a decision. But last week I got a bee in my bonnet to paint her white.
She had stayed on the back porch and weather got to her, but she didn’t melt. Only got some chippies of the paint on the base.
Well, gosh darn it! Now I had to start the decision making process all over again. I liked those chippies. So… Paint her white then scuff her up? Or… hmm… The water caused the chippies and she didn’t melt and, do you see the black on there? That’s nasty ickies. She was going to have to be washed first anyway. Why not see if I could scrub off the green?
So I got out the hose pipe (garden hose to most of the rest of the world), got a couple of steel wool pads, rolled up my britches legs and went to work. Had I known what a job it was going to be, I might not have started, but I stuck with it. Yay me! That’s just the kind of thing I get tired of doing and quit. But I kept on, knowing I had to be burning a million calories in the process, and didn’t quit until I was so tired and bored with it that I said good enough. Here’s her new look:
There’s less of an overall green cast in person. It’s probably there, but the eye doesn’t pick it up as much as the camera. She is standing close to the new chair shown a couple of posts down and the new painting shown before that. One of these days, the living room will be “done” enough to show a whole picture. It usually takes me a long time when I start redecorating to finish.